Chapter 11
".... So I've learned love needs expression"
Alem's P.O.V.
I enter the studio to find Sandy giggling profusely on the phone but as soon as she sees me she quickly dismissed whoever was on the other end to greet me. I brush off her suspicious behavior and chock it up to Sandy being…. well Sandy as she pulls me into a hug holding on just a little too long then releasing me with a loud sigh.
"Last Day girl" she mused.
"Yeah a few more touches then a coat of gloss and I pick up my fat paycheck then I'm outtie 5000" I deadpan.
"I know right" she sighed a little more dramatically this time.
"Sandy your acting as if your never going to see me again aren't you coming over this weekend you knuckle head plus we're homes for life right?" I say casually throwing my arm around her shoulders.
"Oh of course and you better come visit me here too." we walk down the hall towards my work area.
"No doubt " I kiss her ruffly on the temple then I pushed her away playfully.
We slap high five then she walked back to the reception desk. I gather my stuff to bring my masterpiece to completion.
About an hour and a half later I'm done and the gloss coat is finished leaving the mural glistening with tiny points of light. Uncle D had gotten an art light installed above it so it was nicely illuminated. A sigh of satisfaction escapes my lips as I take it all in. I tear my eyes from my work as I begin to pack up my supplies. Luckily when I drove into the city I was able to grab one of the elusive parking spaces out front not to far from the entrance to the studio. I would be able to walk my things to the car with no issues. Maybe I'll recruit Sandy to help me so I will not have to make so many trips back and forth. Come to think of it I have not seen Sandy since I started and when I approach the reception desk she seems to be missing from there as well. I take to the task of loading up the car myself.
"Why do I have this many bottles of blue paint"
I scratch my head and take the crate of leftover paint and gesso primer out to the car. The job takes a little longer than I had expected and I decide to stay outside a little longer, not in such a rush to leave. I take the time to savor a cigarette out in my car before going to pick up my check and dropping in on Mike before leaving out. I found myself not smoking as often as I used to before Michael. He told me it didn't bother him that I smoked but I keep it to a minimum because I know it's not good for his voice especially now that he has to record so much. I missed the cinnamon taste so I savor more than one. Stubbing out the last one I stepped out of my car and head back to the studio.
Sandy still was not back to the reception desk and I hope I would be able to tell her goodbye before I left. I walked slowly down the hallway to Uncle D's office. I knock softly on the door and I hear a hearty.
"Come in" I step in to the door and click it shut behind me.
"Alem sweetheart come in dear."
"Hey Uncle D." I laugh
"Come to get your check have you?"
"Yeah and to also thank you again for the opportunity to display my talent here" I sat across from him in the cushy leather arm chair facing his desk.
"It was my pleasure. You exceeded my expectations tenfold so this is well deserved."
He reached into his desk drawer and pulled out the check and handed it to me.
"Thank you so much Uncle D" I take the check and examined it.
"There's a bonus in there for finishing so quickly, $15,000 dollars is a lot of money but it is worth more than every penny my dear."
I stood and hugged him briskly before clasping my hands together in gratitude. I know exactly what I had planned for this money. I am going to revamp the whole art program in the school I volunteer in. There are so many things that they need and this money I believe will do wonders to cover it all. I can't wait the kids are going to be so happy. My high is brought back to earth level by Uncle D looping his arm with mine.
"Let me walk you out doll" he stated.
"Sure Uncle D"
We walk slowly down the hallway leading towards the lounges. The walk is peppered with light conversations about nothing in particular. I'm no good at small talk so Uncle D takes the lead and guides the conversation.
"Hey do you mind if we stop in the main lounge for a minute, gotta get some water."
"Sure no problems its been good talking to you Uncle D, just like old times"
In my teen years before my parents demise. I had made the studio sort of my home whether my parents where there to see friends or not. I just love the vibe that reverberated through these walls. I would lurk around and got to sit in on some of the most prolific recording sessions of the time. My memories are jolted to a halt when Uncle D stops to open the door to the lounge. The thought that I've never before seen this door closed before darts across my mind but quickly eludes me as the word
"SURPRISE!!!!!" echoed loudly off the walls in the lounge space.
Sandy lunges at me wrapping her arms tightly around my neck.
"Surprise girl" she whispered.
"Oh My God you guys you are insane, this is really sweet of you all." I yell in total shock.
I'm met with smiles around the room. LL ,his crew, the sound engineers, Bruce , Uncle Q and a few of the other various employees I had come to know in my short time here are scattered around the room giving me cheers as I walk further into the room. My eyes dart around the room looking for a certain someone but my heart falls momentarily into my stomach and a pang of disappointment sends a lump to my throat when don't see a certain set of brown eyes or raven curls. Michael's not here.
I brush my angst aside and proceeded to enjoy the party so sweetly set up for me. Soon enough Sandy brings out a large cake with the simple inscription "We love you" written in icing and we delve into it greedily. About an hour later everything had died down and sitting with Sandy and LL on one of the many couches.
"You know Michael offered to pay for all the food and drinks when we were telling everyone about this." Sandy whispered to me.
"Michael Jackson?" I asked with mocked surprise .
"Yeah girl he said he could not get out of some meeting that he had to go to so he offered to pay instead. Isn't that so sweet?" She looked at me with sparkles in her eyes and I giggle on the inside at her enthusiasm.
"Wow that is sweet , I'll have to thank him sometime." I knew full well he would be getting very nice thank you later.
A few minutes later I see Miko enter the lounge from the corner of my eyes. The story LL was relaying to me Sandy and the rest of his crew starts to fade into the background as I watched Miko grab a bottle of water from the fridge and discreetly nodded for me to join him in the hallway. I look around to make sure no one saw the small exchange then I quietly excused myself.
"Hey girl leaving so soon." I hear LL laughing as he grab my wrist.
"Bathroom." I mumble as I freed my hand easily from his light grip.
"Hurry back girl, your gonna miss the end of the story."
"Yeah I'll be back in a minute dude, hold your horses" I deadpanned laughing and heading to the hallway.
"Hey Alem."
I hear Miko call out to me and my head whips to the direction of his voice and I see him leaning against the wall. He pushes off as I approached him and he hands me a note.
"Mike told me to give you this" I take the note from him and he tucked his hands into his jeans pockets.
"Thank you Miko, how are you."
"Doing good, a little tired our boy has been doing the late night thing as of late" he laughed.
"Awwww buck up man, your tough you'll be alright." I slip the note into the back pocket of my jeans.
"I'll catch you later Alem, I would read that note before you leave if I were you." He turned on his heels and headed back to Studio A
"See ya." I slip the note out of my pocket and open it.
Hey Sweetheart
Sorry I was not there for you surprise. I couldn't make it because of a quick meeting I had to attend. I know it must sound crazy but I miss you so much. Its only been a couple of hours but I want you near me. Maybe it was a good thing I had to skip out to this meeting because God knows when I see you I 'll want to hold you and kiss your sweet tantalizing lips and grab you in places I deem would be inappropriate for the prying eyes of your friends and the staff here. I'll be having an all nighter, finishing up some mixes. I want you to stop by when the coast is clear. Make sure everyone is gone. Don't you just love the mystery! But for real baby girl I'll be waiting for you. See you soon baby.
Love Dan.
I fold the note as a smile spreads my lips. Mike could make a fortune in note writing if he wanted to. I love that he likes slipping me little love notes when the time called for it. I slip the note back into my pocket and head back to the lounge before Sandy and LL send out a search party for me.
"Hey look what the cat drug back in. I didn't know it took so long to take a leak." I flash a pretend glare at LL
"I'll have you now James that I'm a lady and it tends to take a little longer for us sometimes you know."
"Ahh whatever girl, come sit down. You missed the story any way." I flopped lazily on the couch.
My body is here but my mind is settled on the fine brotha waiting patiently for me to come to him. I feel a light tap on my shoulder and I'm brought back to the two people eying me carefully.
"You ok Als" I hear Sandys voice asked mixed with laughter.
"Are you coming or what?"
"Wait….what, coming where?"
"To the club girl, you weren't listening where you." she continued to laugh.
"Sorry girl I'm a little tired plus I have a class to teach in the morning. You guys go ahead. I'll see y'all soon kay. Sandy girl call me and James don't be a stranger now." I glance over to LL and he is grinning from ear to ear.
"You know I'll be harrasin you on the regular girl, remember we have a date pending." LL licked his lips then one again flashed me his pearly whites, his dimples more pronounced than ever.
"Oh joy, and there is no date boy." I laugh back.
"Come on Sands , lets bounce and leave grandma to her wittle nap." He shoved me playfully in the shoulder.
"I'll show your ass who's a grandma when I kick it up and down this hallway. Don't play with me James." we all laugh as I hugged each of them goodbye.
When I get to LL be pinched me on the ass and winked at me before grabbing his things and ducking my attempt to swat him good.
"Boy you lucky I'm a little tired" I laughed.
"Do you want us to walk you to your car Als." Sandy offered.
"No hun I got a few things left to take care of. "
"Ok see ya Als." I watched as her and LL left out arm in arm . I was the last one left to leave so I Jump up and headed to my final destination. Studio A.
Michael's P.O.V.
I sat and tapped my feet to the beat of "Leave Me Alone" as I waited for Alem to finish up her party. I have not seen her since she left my condo and my need for her is truly overwhelming to say the least. Not just in a sexual way but in a way where I would meld with her if I could. I have a lot of nights of studio time left to go and our seeing each other now that she is finished with her mural is going to be few and far between. I know it will get worse as soon as the album came out I will be traveling a lot for promotions and a multitude of other things. There was so much I needed to talk to her about. For example what will we do when I'm finished here. Ultimately I live in California and she lives here. Also I have to tell her about the situation with Jolie.
"Gawd."
I groaned and squinted my eyes to try and refocus on the music massaging my eardrums but not quite getting through my scattered thoughts. I hate obstacles and there will be many in out path but I trust that Alem will understand at least I hope she would do just that, understand my life. I hear a soft knock on the door and a smile instantly licks across my face as my trepidatious thoughts slip to the back of my mind momentarily.
"Come in."
The door cracks open and I see a cascade of ebony curls appear followed by the beautiful heartshaped face donning a smile akin to my own.
"Hey sweets." Comes her soothing voice.
"Baby, come here." I held my arms out awaiting her small frame before I encase it in a tight hug.
"God I missed you girl."
" Me too Dan, me too. We're hopeless aren't we?" she laughed before bringing her lips to mine caressing it softly with a heartwarming kiss.
"Mmmm you taste divine baby girl." I licked my lips as we pulled away from each other.
"Yeah, its chocolate cake." she giggles as she pulled out a covered plate from behind her back.
"I saved you some." she handed me the plate as she plopped down in one of the engineers chairs.
"Thanks honey." I uncover the plate and take a whiff before covering it back up.
"I'll have this later. It even smells like you girl. Come lets go into the lounge where we can get more comfortable." I grab hold of her hand as I start to pull her to the lounge door.
"Where are the guys."
"The shadows are around here some where and Bruce and Quincy left already."
"What about the mixing." she asked cocking her head to the side.
"I'm only mixing down one song tonight and I have been doing this well over 20 years now so I kinda know my way around here." I winked at her and she laughed and punched me playfully in the arm.
"Ow girl."
"I tend to forget sometimes baby. Sue me." she laughs again.
I put the cake down on the table and bring her body to me for a deep kiss. I relish the fact that my fame has no baring on her love for me. She just wants me Michael or Dan as she likes to call me and that makes me love and want her even more. I swiftly pull her down to the bed and I prop my head up with my palm as I look down on her smiling visage. Running my thumb across her lips as I firmly hold he chin in my free palm. I pull her head up so our lips meet and I delve my tongue in her mouth and kiss her languidly. Kissing her is like oxygen, I need it to breath. I release her lips slowly with small pecks. We lay on the bed face to face as
I outlined her small features with my long finger.
"Your breathtaking Ally." She looked down as a tinge of a pink blush highlighted her cheeks.
"So are you baby."
Her finger ran the length of my face from my forehead over the bridge of my nose down my lips to my chin before her hand came to rest on the nape of my neck playing with the soft hairs that grew there. Its now or never I have to tell her.
"Ally I have to tell you something." I say taking her hand in mine as I roll onto my stomach and situated myself closer to her.
"Ok."
She propped herself up on her elbow and brush the curls that had fallen in to my face away from my eyes.
"It's about Jolie." I pause and clear my throat and her face remained stoic.
"We slept together a few months ago. I think that's why she's been acting the way she is towards you."
She slowly released her hands from mine and flopped onto her back bringing the heals of her palms to her eyes.
"I know, I was waiting to see if you would tell me yourself." Comes the reply.
" Wait…. How did you...., did she tell you this."
I stammer out panic taking over me at the thought that I did't get to come clean first as a swarm of butterflies threaten to break through my stomach.
"No Mike, I'm a woman, a very intuitive one at that. I just figured it out. I saw the way she looked at you and the over protectiveness you spoke about, no woman acts like that towards a man unless they have been intimate and or they have feelings for them. It clicked this morning when she saw me with you at the condo and her mouth was damn near sweeping the floor."
I go to speak and she raised her hand to stop me as she sat up and I followed suit. She looked down at her hands fidgeting with her fingers before looking back up at me and I'm aghast when I find she has a smirk on her face.
"Why didn't you just tell me that before when I told you she didn't like me?"
"I…I don't….. I really thought it was all behind us but I think she still has a thing for me. I'll ask her to resign. Ally I swear it was a mistake I was drunk and I …well we both took advantage of the situation and I regretted it so much….I…" She raised her finger to my lips effectively shutting me up.
"Mike slow down, I'm not mad about it. You had a life before me I understand that. Do you love her?"
"No…no not like that. I care for her as a friend only I swear to you Ally it was a mistake."
I reach over to take her hand in mine and she lets me. This alone sent the butterflies into a much calmer state but a few stubborn ones still riled against my battered stomach.
"Alem I love you, more than I could express in this lifetime alone. I want you to believe that. I want you in my life. Please."
She looks into my eyes as her miss matched ones flitted from one to the other searching out the truth of my words through the windows of my soul. I wait patiently for her to speak as she scooted over to me my breath got caught in my throat, causing me to almost choke.
"Naku Penda pia, naku taka pia, Mpenziwe." her voice was soft and low and I'm mesmerized by the words she has just spoken.
"What…." she cut into my sentence.
"It's Swahili it means I love you too, I want you too, my love. My father used to tell that to my mother all the time when they were alive. I never understood till now the real meaning of the phrase. I love you too Michael and I'm glad you didn't keep this from me."
All my words are lost and the only reaction I have is my body moving to hers as I claim her pillowy pout in a kiss with so much passion I thought I would faint from the feeling of lightness that has gripped my heart. Our tongues engaged in a battle of wills as I scoop her on to my lap her legs straddling my waist. Neither of us wants to leave the warmth and comfort of each others mouth but alas we need to breath so we separate so that air can once again settle in our lungs. If needed be however I would have given her my last breath in that moment. Foreheads firmly together our eyes meet and I drown in her hazels.
"I love you baby, I do."
"I know Mike."
She settled herself back onto the bed and her curls fan out around her delicate face. She looks like an angel, an Earth angel. I instinctively begin to sing the Doo Woop classic softly in her ear.
"Ahh the Penguins." She sighed as I brought the song to an end. She clapped her hands sofly
"Bravo, baby but I'm already yours."
She reached up to caress my cheek, my heart swelling to the point of busting open. I lean into her and whisper.
"Thank you, thank you so much for believing in me." I shift my head so my lips connect with her palm.
"You don't have to ask Jolie to quit Mike. I know how hard it is to find a competent person who you trust handling your day to day affairs. As long as she does not cross the line again now that your mine. Everything is fine with me. You can fire her at your discretion if anything else happens."
Her laughter brings a smile to my face and I thank God she is still here with me. I will be keeping my eye out for any thing inappropriate Jolie throws my way and I will not stand for her being rude to Alem in any shape or fashion. I have already spoken to her about this so I will see where it all goes. I just know she better not mess up because it will be curtains for her. She actually needs to thank Alem for saving her ass because if it came down to it now that I think about it Four years be damned she would have been gone. It is all a testament to the strong character of MY woman. Que sera sera I let go of the grim thoughts of my assistant and bring them back to the woman I love.
"I have an idea." I grab her hand pulling her with me into the studio proper.
"What is it Dan?" she giggled and followed me.
"I want you to say those word you just told me in the recording booth. I want to use it for one of my songs." I say setting up the board for recording.
"What song?" she looked at me curiosity abounding in her eyes.
"Liberian Girl." Comes my simple reply.
Finally the song will be complete this is exactly what I was looking for to finish it. "Thank God for MY "Liberian Girl." I giggle to myself .
I'm one lucky motherfucker to have this woman and don't I know it.
Ahhh Alem is about to utter those beautiful words on Mike's album!! I love 'Liberian Girl' so much!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd it was so sweet how they threw that party for her!!! But ooohhhh I am anxious about this Jolie situation...